Thursday, July 8, 2010

Blogs after my own heart......grocery money saving tips!

As I have said before, we are on a journey to learn to be more frugal. A big component to saving money in our budget is cutting down our food expenses. I have been utilizing coupons for a little over a year and I have saved a significant amount on groceries but I want to cut my food budget down even more and provide my family with healthier meals. It sounds like a tall order but I have a plan! I have started using cash only which has helped me spend less at the grocery store, I use coupons but only on things that we really need, and I am making more things from scratch. Even though I am going to be spending more on buying better quality meats, I am saving more by making more things from scratch and buying as little pre-processes foods as I can manage. I am also trying to make one meatless meal for dinner each week and then make meals that stretch the meat so that my more expensive quality meat will go farther! All of these changes mean that I have to get a lot better with planning my meals out each week. This could be one of most difficult parts of the whole puzzle fore me because I am not a really organized person. I totally see the value in organization but I really do love spontaneity, so for me it means I need to be more disciplined in order to really make cutting down my food budget a reality. For many people this comes easily but for me its like pulling teeth but I know it will be worth it.

I have found many blogs that have helped motivate me and give me more ideas on how to do this and today there are two great blogs that have articles on this exact topic. Check them out to get some great tips and ideas on how to provide healthy meals on a tight budget. The Thrifty Mama and also The Nester have great guest posts on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment